Fireworks safety for children @ CCG Pediatric Blog

 

th (26)

 

Summer, the Fourth of July, warm summer nights, what a great time of year. When you think of the Fourth of July it is synonyms with fireworks. But fireworks can be harmful to children. Here are some tips:

#Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.

#Never point or throw fireworks that have not ignited fully

#Keep a bucket of water or a hose close by in case you need it.

#The adult lighting fireworks should wear goggles to protect the eyes.

# Sparklers may seem like a “child’s firework” BUT sparklers can reach 1,800 degrees (which is hot enough to melt gold). Stress to your child that a sparkler is very hot, make sure they are well supervised point them away from the face, clothing, and hair. Also, don’t let them throw down their sparkler when they are done, as someone else could step on it and burn their feet. Throw them in a bucket of water when done burning.

#Have the children sit a safe distance from where the fireworks are being lit.

Treatment for burns

*Never place ice on a burn as it constricts the blood flow to the skin and can cause tissue damage.

*Place the burn area under cool water for at least 20 minutes

*Aloe helps to stop the pain and inflammation.

 

*Mint toothpaste can be helpful, run the burn under cool water, pat dry, the then place a thin area of mint toothpaste.

If there is any question at all call your doctor or go to the emergency dept.

Information gathered from Readers digest, CDC fireworks prevention, images from Bing Photo

th (27)

Be safe and have a great time.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *